Principal Investigator:Pecoits, Ernesto Licenced Year(s):
By means of geochemical data on banded iron formation (BIF), and associated volcanic and sedimentary rocks the main objectives of this study are:
(1) to delineate the source (continental, hydrothermal) of silica and iron in BIF,
(2) to make inferences about the seawater from which these rocks are deposited in, and
(3) to evaluate the implications for early life on Earth.
This study wil...
Principal Investigator:Haugaard, Rasmus RH Licenced Year(s):
In the previous year, research work were started on some of the new occurrences of 2.9 - 2.6 Ga old banded iron formations in the NWT. This opened an exceptional opportunity to study ocean chemistry directly preceding the Great Oxidization Event (GOE). In this regard, the research group has been engaged with the Northwest Territories Geoscience Office (NTGO) to undertake field and laboratory studi...
Principal Investigator:Aubet, Natalie Licenced Year(s):
The researcher intends to better resolve the climatic and oceanic chemical conditions that ultimately led to the origins of animal life and the so-called ‘Cambrian explosion’ by focusing on the exceptionally well-preserved ancient banded iron formations from the Rapitan Group (NWT, Canada) and the overlying carbonate units. Specifically, detailed chemical and isotopic analyses of these...
Principal Investigator:Mloszewski, Aleksandra M Licenced Year(s):
The recent discovery of new occurrences of Neoarchan (2.8 Ga to 2.6 Ga) banded iron formations (BIF) in the Northwest Western Territories have opened an exceptional opportunity to study ocean chemistry. In this regard, the research group has been engaged by the Northwest Territories Geoscience Office (NTGO) to undertake field and laboratory studies of Archean and Proterozoic Banded Iron Formation ...
Principal Investigator:Halverson, Galen P Licenced Year(s):2014
The objectives of this study are:
1. to improve the geological, tectonic, and geochemical constraints on the emplacement of ca. 780 Ma Little Dal Basalt and associated sill and dikes and the deposition of the overlying Coats Lake Group; and
2. to improve correlation between the Little Dal Group and similar-aged strata in the Yukon Territory in order to under the origin and geometry of this sedim...