Principal Investigator:Tonn, William Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are: to study the freshwater ecology, hydrology, and hydraulics of small lakes and streams in the Lac de Gras basin before habitat modification; to monitor the changes in ecosystem productive capacity resulting from habitat modifications designed to increase habitat connectivity and fish passage; and to assess the effectiveness of such habitat modifications ...
Principal Investigator:Chen, Wenjun Licenced Year(s):
The goals of this research project are:
1. To fill the information gap on Bathurst caribou summer range conditions using satellite remote sensing data and community-based ground vegetation monitoring
2. To develop a cumulative impact assessment method that makes cumulative impact assessment possible even if data are incomplete and provides timely feedback for guiding the refinement of monitoring...
Principal Investigator:Panayi, Damian Licenced Year(s):201620152014
The objective of this study is to describe the terrestrial and aquatic environment in the Yellowknife River between Prosperous Lake and Bluefish Lake as per the Fisheries Authorization and the Water Licence. This may include investigating vegetation, water quality, benthic invertebrate populations, and fish. The results will be used to determine the most suitable means of fish habitat compensation...
Principal Investigator:Harris, Katherine M. Licenced Year(s):2014
The objective of this research project is to collect baseline environmental information for future environmental effects monitoring.
Surveys may include assessments of fish, fish habitat, benthic invertebrates, plankton, water and sediment quality, wetlands and geochemistry. Equipment for surveys will be limited to standard field measuring and surveying equipment, such as automated water qualit...
Principal Investigator:Farrell, Rory Licenced Year(s):
To take specific samples for the completion of a remedial action plan and risk assessment for the Five Mine Sites.
The field component of the project will be conducted over a two day period.
Limited soil and mine tailing samples from the most contaminated areas of the site will be taken. These areas were previously identified in past environmental site assessments. The samples will be collec...
Principal Investigator:Harris, Allan G Licenced Year(s):
The objective of this research project is to conduct fieldwork to determine the population size, distribution, and habitat of Nahanni Aster.
Fieldwork will involve helicopter access to hotspring habitats. Presence/absence of Nahanni Aster will be recorded, stems counts will be conducted, and habitat and potential threats will be described. There are possible opportunities to promote the Nahanni ...
Principal Investigator:Laidlaw, Shawn Licenced Year(s):2013
The purpose of this project is to:
1) coordinate monitoring and research efforts in the watershed between the community, government, and universities;
2) understand current aquatic health of the watershed using water quality, macroinvertebrates, aquatic furbearers and fish as indicators of ecosystem health;
3) understand historical environmental change and contaminant loading in the watershe...
Principal Investigator:Krizan, Julia Licenced Year(s):
A Fish Habitat Survey and Bathymetry Survey are required for the proposed South Parsons Lake Gas Supply Project. The objective of the surveys is to gather baseline data regarding watercourse crossings and lakes in support of documents submitted for regulatory approval, to fulfill Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) requirements and to meet Transport Canada’s review of navigable waters.
Principal Investigator:Muir, Andrew M Licenced Year(s):
The objective of this project is to sample known and newly discovered deepwater (>50 m) habitats southwest of the Narakay Islands and within the McTavish Arm to determine if a deepwater humper or siscowet lake trout form occurs. Data on the occurrence and characteristics of deepwater lake trout forms from Great Bear Lake will fill in gaps in this North American lake trout dataset. Currently it is ...
Principal Investigator:Maier, Kris Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are:
1) to re-assess the anadromous component of the known Vittrekwa River Dolly Varden char population;
2) to investigate & assess other potential suitable Dolly Varden habitat; and
3) to confirm the presence of Dolly Varden char in the Stony Creek watershed.
For the Vittrekwa River the research team plans to construct a fixed weir which will trap se...