Principal Investigator:Frigault, Julia S Licenced Year(s):
This project seeks to understand the influence Inuit social determinants of health have on the likelihood of Inuvialuit Elders experiencing fall-related injuries and fatalities. It also seeks to understand the ways in which these programs can be made to be culturally safe (i.e., when a researcher or program provider ensures that participants’ experiences, as well as their influence on participants...
Principal Investigator:Fournier, Bonnie Licenced Year(s):
The study will help to build knowledge, capacity, resources and skills of decision makers and practitioners/managers to develop and implement policy activities to create healthier environments including food security.
In-depth interviews of approximately 1 hour in length will be conducted in person or on the telephone to examine the views of decision makers and practitioners/managers about hea...
Principal Investigator:Butler Walker, Jody Licenced Year(s):2016
The objectives of this research are to encourage and support Northerners in Yukon and Northwest Territories’ communities to follow healthier lifestyles and to facilitate organizations, government departments and businesses in Yukon and NWT work to in partnership together to foster healthier lifestyles in communities.
The project will aim to engage organizations involved in healthy eating, activ...
Principal Investigator:Sharma, Sangita Licenced Year(s):2016
Cancer is the leading cause of death in the Northwest Territories. Cancer screening is a test to detect cancer at earlier stages, and can increase successful treatment. Screening can also increase survival rates and prevent up to 35% of premature deaths due to cancer. Three screening programs have been established in Canada for early detection of breast, colorectal, and cervical cancers. However, ...
Principal Investigator:Petrella, Robert J. Licenced Year(s):2016
The objectives of this research project are:
1) to improve the health of participants (weight, BMI, fitness score, step counts, exercise frequency and duration, consumption of a healthy diet (fruits and vegetables, water, healthy breakfast), and health-related quality of life) through an evidence-based individualized lifestyle prescription, goal setting, and in-person/technology-supported coachin...
Principal Investigator:Corriveau, André Licenced Year(s):
The goals of this project are:
1. to improve First Nations, Inuit and Métis cancer patient transition experiences from the time of diagnosis, through treatment of care and upon discharge to a variety of community-based and primary care services;
2. to develop sustainable working relationships amongst First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities and primary and oncology care providers;
3. to i...
Principal Investigator:Cooper, Megan E Licenced Year(s):
The objective of the present research is to provide reliable, objective, scientific data that describes the short-term impact of the new Northern Studies 10 course in terms of: promoting a healthier relationship between Northern families and the school; and, the promotion of a healthy personal and collective identity for the student.
To meet the research goals, the focus will be on answering t...
Principal Investigator:Dutton, Jessica N Licenced Year(s):
To explore the impacts of Paul William Kaeser (PWK) high school’s new health intervention has on students.
1. Determine whether participation in the intervention impacts level of fitness.
2. Determine whether participation in the intervention impacts attitudes towards health and physical activity.
3. Determine whether participation in the intervention impacts attendance an...
Principal Investigator:Dutton, Jessica N Licenced Year(s):20152014
1. To explore the third space that exists between western medical diabetes treatments and traditional Aboriginal healing to resolve the false dichotomy presented in the literature on diabetes treatment in Aboriginal communities.
2. To develop a community-based, participatory program of research that will provide opportunities for community members with diabetes to engage in...
Principal Investigator:Spence, John C Licenced Year(s):
The overall objective of this study is to evaluate the Fort Providence Pilot Project, a program initiated by the Northwest Territories Government in the DehGah School in Fort Providence. The program aims to enhance the physical literacy of children attending the DehGah School.
The evaluation will involve three parts. 1) An assessment of physical literacy of children in grades 2 through 6; 2) a ...