Principal Investigator:MacLeod, Roger Licenced Year(s):
The objective of this research project is to continue the examination of coastal sediment exposures and drained lake basins for evidence for paleo-tsunamis deposits and investigate coastal erosion rates.
This year, the research team will be focusing on one task: A small, 2 kg (5 lb), electric powered Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) will be used to collect low-altitude (<90 m) aerial imagery at N...
Principal Investigator:Whalen, Dustin JR Licenced Year(s):
The primary objective of this research continues to be driven towards the safe and sustainable industrial and community development of the Beaufort Sea coastal nearshore region. The research provides the means to improve knowledge of physical conditions in the coastal zone in order to help government agencies, corporations, and local residents understand, mitigate and reduce the impacts of natural...
Principal Investigator:Höfle, Bernhard Licenced Year(s):
The goal of the proposed study is to develop a new method that improves the detection of vertical movements caused by thawing and freezing processes of the permafrost. Previous studies showed the theoretical use of remote sensing data for such surface deformations, but also highlighted limitations. As these thawing and freezing processes are mainly responsible for such things as streets breaking a...
Principal Investigator:Danby, Ryan K Licenced Year(s):
Objectives of this research project are to:
1) analyze Landsat satellite images to understand regional vegetation change over the past 30 years;
2) determine the timing of tree establishment as well as the climate influence on tree growth across the forest tundra transition zone over the past 300 years; and,
3. measure spruce seedling growth across the forest-tundra ecotone in relation to varia...
Principal Investigator:Berg, Aaron A Licenced Year(s):
The main objectives of this research are to:
1. monitor the spatial variability of soil moisture at approximately a 10km resolution in the region of Trail Valley Creek (TVC); and,
2. to test the soil moisture retrieval algorithms in high organic soils through both satellite based measurements and with the use of a ground based radiometer.
To achieve the first objective, the research team will...
Principal Investigator:Lantz, Trevor C. Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are:
1) To use remote sensing to document the rate and extent of landscape change on Banks Island;
2) To examine the effects of tundra disturbances using detailed field investigations; and
3) Use participatory mapping and interviews to document Inuvialuit Knowledge of Landscape Change on Banks Island.
In this project the research team are using remot...
Principal Investigator:Chamberland, Joseph Licenced Year(s):
The research project Water Ecosystems Monitoring using Earth Observation aims to define an Earth Observation (EO) driven monitoring program to provide information towards monitoring environmental indicators of northern ecosystem health. Once the project is done information on water indicators including water temperature, suspended sediment concentrations, water levels, and ice quality and will be ...
Principal Investigator:Kokelj, Steve V Licenced Year(s):
The primary objectives of this research are: 1) to develop and test new methods of monitoring permafrost landscape change; 2) to investigate the impacts of natural and human disturbance on permafrost terrain and the ground temperature conditions in natural environments and in communities; and 3) assess the physical and chemical characteristics of permafrost.
To achieve the objectives the follow...
Principal Investigator:Audet, Pascal Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are: 1) to improve the detection and characterization of earthquakes occurring within the northern Canadian Cordillera (comprising the Mackenzie and Richardson Mountains) and surrounding areas, which is one the most seismically active areas of Canada; and 2) to study the deep Earth structures to understand the formation and evolution of the Cordillera. To th...
Principal Investigator:Schutt, Derek L Licenced Year(s):
The Mackenzie Mountains EarthScope project (MMEP) is funded under the EarthScope program of the U.S. National Science Foundation. This project is collaborating with the larger EarthScope USArray project, which will be studying seismicity (earthquakes) and earth structure in the broader northwestern Canadian and Alaskan regions, and with Canadian researchers from several agencies including the Yuko...