Principal Investigator:Parlee, Brenda L Licenced Year(s):
The broad goal of the project is to create opportunities to collaboratively document and share local and traditional knowledge (LTK) about social-ecological change in the Mackenzie River Basin, Lower Mekong, and Lower Amazon Basins and determine its’ role in watershed governance. In 2016-17, the project will fund 8-10 community-based and collaborative research activities in the Mackenzie River Bas...
Principal Investigator:Pearce, Tristan D Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are to:
1. describe the beluga-Inuvialuit linked social-ecological system;
2. characterize Inuvialuit traditional ecological knowledge (TEK) of beluga whale: ecology and behaviour, hunting techniques, and food preparation;
3. document current stresses affecting beluga and Inuvialuit hunters and adaptive responses; and,
4. identify opportunities for TEK ...
Principal Investigator:Johnson, Leslie M Licenced Year(s):
The objectives are to record insights and evaluations of approaches to culturally based wellness promotion and collaborative approaches to holistic healing from Northern perspectives. The research team will review literature on other efforts, and record responses to the teams own Wisdom Engaged activities from a range of northern participants, especially knowledgeable Elders, language and culture ...
Principal Investigator:Uunila, Laani Licenced Year(s):
The purpose of this project is to gain a more comprehensive understanding of culturally important places and cultural resources found within Nááts’ihch’oh National Park Reserve and their values, to assist in the planning and management of the park.
Specific objectives are:
1. to identify traditional place names, present and past harvesting or hunting areas, modern trails and the identificati...
Principal Investigator:Ruben, Diane Licenced Year(s):
The objective of the research is to document traditional knowledge and practices of whitefish harvesting in Paulatuk, Northwest Territories.
The youth researcher will document traditional knowledge relating to whitefish using semi-structured interviews with elders and active harvesters.
The cultural and social benefits of this project include the opportunity that might not always present its...
Principal Investigator:Lantz, Trevor C. Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are:
1) To use remote sensing to document the rate and extent of landscape change on Banks Island;
2) To examine the effects of tundra disturbances using detailed field investigations; and
3) Use participatory mapping and interviews to document Inuvialuit Knowledge of Landscape Change on Banks Island.
In this project the research team are using remot...
Principal Investigator:Strickert, Graham Licenced Year(s):
The purpose of the research is to advance understanding about how existing knowledge (e.g. social and biophysical science products and ancestral and local knowledge) can be used to meet the needs of communities to develop climate adaptation strategies. Researchers seek to answer the questions: “How can biophysical and social science products combine to meet the needs of northern Aboriginal communi...
Principal Investigator:Mitchell, Terry Licenced Year(s):
The proposed research is part of a larger collaborative research project on the internationally recognized right of indigenous peoples to free, prior and informed consent in relation to natural resource management and development that may affect lands and waters that they own, occupy or otherwise use. The research pursues better understanding of both the challenges and best practices for inclusive...
Principal Investigator:Grimwood, Bryan S.R. Licenced Year(s):
The purpose of this research has been to work collaboratively with the Lutsel K’e Dene First Nation to reveal and restore Denesoline relationships to the Thelon River watershed. The study has involved three objectives:
1. To foster and celebrate Denesoline cultural livelihoods by recording, experiencing, and exchanging local and traditional knowledge associated with the Thelon;
2. To synthesize,...
Principal Investigator:Vizina, Yvonne N Licenced Year(s):
Interview and collect survey data from educators at select Aboriginal post-secondary places of learning about their sustainability practices and policies, links to community-based conservation practices, and involvement with national and international decision-making processes on environmental issues. Three publishable manuscripts will be produced based on research data including:
1) A manuscript...