Principal Investigator:Hartmann, Jörg Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this survey are to establish patterns of methane (CH4) concentration in the atmosphere over the Mackenzie delta region and to quantify the emission of CH4 from these areas. Together with the data from previous data the research team should be able to estimate the annual contribution of the Mackenzie delta region to the atmospheric methane budget. Furthermore the research team wil...
Principal Investigator:Danby, Ryan K Licenced Year(s):
Objectives of this research project are to:
1) analyze Landsat satellite images to understand regional vegetation change over the past 30 years;
2) determine the timing of tree establishment as well as the climate influence on tree growth across the forest tundra transition zone over the past 300 years; and,
3. measure spruce seedling growth across the forest-tundra ecotone in relation to varia...
Principal Investigator:Berg, Aaron A Licenced Year(s):
The main objectives of this research are to:
1. monitor the spatial variability of soil moisture at approximately a 10km resolution in the region of Trail Valley Creek (TVC); and,
2. to test the soil moisture retrieval algorithms in high organic soils through both satellite based measurements and with the use of a ground based radiometer.
To achieve the first objective, the research team will...
Principal Investigator:Baltzer, Jennifer L Licenced Year(s):
The objective is to improve the empirical foundations for predictive caribou habitat mapping within the forested areas of the Taiga Plains and Taiga Shield Ecoregions in NWT, roughly south of Great Bear Lake. A network of long-term study plots will be established across a range of fire characteristics and vegetation types, where the research team will measure the rate and direction of forest and c...
Principal Investigator:Lewkowicz, Antoni G Licenced Year(s):
The research goal is to look at how permafrost is changing following forest fire over a range of environmental conditions, with the purpose of improving how change is modelled in the future. The fires of 2014 in the southwestern Northwest Territories provide an opportunity to examine how discontinuous permafrost responds to disturbances. This work is being carried out in collaboration with an inte...
Principal Investigator:Lantz, Trevor C. Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are:
1) To use remote sensing to document the rate and extent of landscape change on Banks Island;
2) To examine the effects of tundra disturbances using detailed field investigations; and
3) Use participatory mapping and interviews to document Inuvialuit Knowledge of Landscape Change on Banks Island.
In this project the research team are using remot...
Principal Investigator:Lafleur, Peter M Licenced Year(s):
The broad goal of this research is to increase understanding of tundra carbon balance of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems and predict into the future the impacts of climate warming on these systems.
Since the research team are interested in all aspects of the tundra carbon balance a variety of methods are employed. These can be broken down into 4 basic categories:
1. Tundra-atmosphere flux...
Principal Investigator:Sonnentag, Oliver Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this research project are to: 1) determine the net effect of permafrost thawing-induced biophysical and biogeochemical feedbacks to the climate system; 2) determine how these two types of feedback differ between the sporadic and discontinuous permafrost zones; 3) determine if the reported decrease (increase) in net carbon dioxide (methane) exchange based on flux measurements made...
Principal Investigator:Lee, Claudine Licenced Year(s):
The main objectives of the field work for 2016 to 2020 are: 1) to determine if the Ekati Diamond Mine is having an effect on the surrounding aquatic environment and air quality; and, 2) to provide baseline data for areas where mine development may occur in the future.
In winter, water samples will be collected under ice using a 2.5L Niskin (a cylindrical PVC water sampler). During the week of ...
Principal Investigator:Budziak, Jerry Licenced Year(s):
The objectives of this project are to continue with phytoremediation planting on the Nota Creek C-17 well site. Additional soil lifts will continue to be integrated into the phytoremediation process until all impacted soil is remediated.
Planting is planned for late June, a site monitoring and evaluation trip to the site will be conducted in August and harvesting is projected for late September...